Thursday, February 2, 2012

Interrelation

It's amazing how many things seem to come together when one thing gets right. I've been kind of discouraged with all the soreness this week, and wondering if running without pain was ever going to be possible. I knew in my head that this is a process, but despite all of those thoughts of settling for plain old gratification (as well as... ahem... a blog post) I still wanted it to happen immediately.

Enough to decide that I am in shape enough to endure running, really difficult strength building workouts AND a full time job AND a life.

It turns out that you can't have everything. For me, I've hit the limit at running and full time job. If I could afford to stay in bed all day, I could add "really difficult strength building workouts" but that would mean I'm sacrificing all hope at a life. So here is the new plan:

1. No more of that core workout video until I have time to be in pain. I know that as I get into better shape, the chances of that hurting quite so much will decrease. So maybe by April or so I'll be fit enough for that workout to hurt a regular amount.

2. No more lofty (and ultimately unreachable) goals. There is a reason I'm not weighing myself all the time, and that is because this is about lifestyle, not numbers. This is about the fact that when I step off the treadmill all slippery with sweat, I feel good about myself, no matter what the scale says. This is about getting healthy and looking good, not playing a game with the pounds and being disappointed when I don't match up. In the same vein... it cannot be a numbers game with the workouts either. It can't be about running an unreasonable distance in an unreasonable time, because when I feel good about myself is when I want to work out most. And frankly, I'm just not really ready for that 7 minute pace for 10 miles. Not quite there yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment