Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Updates from the Front

As if I was in a war or something.

Right... I understand that I'm not in a real war, and my life is not at stake here. I understand that no one will invade my country if I stand down from my post. I totally get that the "front lines" of this battle involve no more physical risk than that of dehydration and sunburn, and that the physical violence is limited to some risk of being trampled.

I have no idea what it is like to be a soldier, and I never will. But goodness, it feels like a war... so let's talk about what is at stake.

At stake is the entire concept of public education. At stake is the notion that teachers should be respected professionals. At stake is the idea that black and brown students don't matter. At stake is the thought that corporate power can dominate public interest. At stake... is the future for my students.

It's a big deal.

2 comments:

  1. My dear old mama of 77 years young loves to listen to people complain about teachers. "Three months off (um-2nd jobs, continuous ed classes that WE pay out of our pockets, conferences, planning for the fall); great insurance benefits (I was docked pay during maternity leave because I didn't have enough sick days.); only work 8 to 3 (THAT is too funny- two hours nightly, four/five hours every Sunday. Not to mention school dances, events); and we're paid too much (hmmm,in the 90s, my factory working friends -that didn't have a masters degree like me- made almost twice as much as me)." After they're done ignorantly complaining, my mom simply says,
    "So, why didn't you become a teacher, then?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite inspiring miss sablich. Keep up the fight! I've never a met a teacher who cares more about their students than you.

    ReplyDelete