Wednesday, August 28, 2013

21 Years

For the first time in 21 years, I am not going back to school this fall. I'm not a student, and I'm not a teacher. I'm watching my friends and former colleagues post on Facebook about their back-to-school routines and tasks. I'm seeing pictures of classrooms and children all dressed up. For the first time in my recollection, I am no longer a part of this culture. 

Instead of going back to school, I'm starting work in a new career field. At some point about eight months ago, I stumbled upon the fact that I don't want to teach, and about five months ago I came to terms with that realization. I hold dear my memories in the classroom, and remain grateful for all of the training I had. I wouldn't trade my years of teaching for anything, and still admire teachers as the superheroes they are. For me, however, it is time to move on. 

On my 25th birthday, I'll start a new job that will lead to a new career. I'll still be educating, just not in a traditional classroom. I'll remain an educator, no matter what I end up being... but this is my first autumn that will be spent doing something OTHER than school. I am both terrified and excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment