Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day One

I slept for about 2 hours before going to work on Friday morning. I'm not sure if it was nerves or excitement or the fact that my kitchen wasn't totally clean... but I laid awake for hours.

It felt a bit anti-climatic walking to work after hauling my exhausted body off of the Red Line, and the extra large coffee from Dunkin Donuts was pretty crucial to my survival. It felt like it should be exciting because I was starting a new job, but in reality I was walking to the same place and clocking in at the same timeclock and picking up kids in the same room that was mine for three weeks. It was a bit difficult to be honest, but onward with the new kiddos, right?

Let me tell you, there is no better way to bond with some fourth, fifth, and sixth grade kids than singing karaoke. Especially when I could ROCK it with songs from the original N'Sync and Britney albums. "Ms. Stephanie, this was music when you were OUR age?!?" Um... yes.

Things got a little crazy after lunch when I was called over to fill in for a teacher in the kindergarten room... I was pretty upset about being pulled away from my kids, but emergencies happen, whatever. It ended up being pretty hysterical.

I was dragging by about 4 o'clock when I sat down with a little guy named Stephen so he could be my doctor. He checked my heart rate and my eyes and my ears and everything else. Trying to be a good teacher and not just be happy this little boy was settled and touching me, I started asking him questions.

One too many, it would seem.

With the most sincere expression on his face and right before he was going to give me a shot, he put his pointer finger to my lips and said "That's enough of that."

I shut RIGHT up.


No comments:

Post a Comment