Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sacrifice

As I was leaving my apartment at 6:15 in the morning earlier this week, I was struck by a profound sense of the tranquility of my city home. My feet crunching the dry leaves as I tread, breathing in the crisp autumn air... I felt at peace. It was a different kind of feeling, one I've not experienced in the city for quite some time. Often I allow myself to get so immersed in the "real" things of life... my commute, my job responsibilities, my financial situation and what to cook for dinner... and entire days and weeks pass by without notice. These things are what define the course of our lives, but it is the smaller tastes of comfort that sustain it. Definition is only as good as the sustainability plan keeping it moving, and this moment of peace was my sustenance for this crazy week.

As I thought more about this, I reflected on why I was able to enjoy a moment of calm in the midst of everything... it is because I was out of my apartment early in the morning. I sacrificed my sleep and my comfort and my warm bed, and in return I found a bit of contentment that powered my day. I have sacrificed aspects of my personality, I have given up some specific career plans, and I have surrendered the part of me that had to have everything all worked out. These things were not easy to give up... but they were necessary on the path towards living a sustainable lifestyle. Perhaps true peace requires sacrifice? What in your life have you surrendered in order to gain a sense of "rightness" with the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment