Saturday, March 24, 2012

I've Missed You

It is odd how quickly I can become obsessed with something new. I do believe that I have two key features in my personality: obsession and overreaction. I can address overreaction at some other point in time, but suffice it to say that watching an action movie with me might not be your "cup of tea," as it were.

Obsession, though... this is something I've carried in my heart throughout my life. I have the ability to move quickly from subject to subject, and yet still register meaning and value in each area I touch. It is not as if I am glancing over things; rather I pour into them with my entire mind and heart and soul. Sometimes I stay focused, but most of the time these obsessions are quick and powerful explosions that burn bright and then dull. Occasionally I rediscover a passion and light it up again, as has happened with (various men), academic subjects, politics, television shows, and so on.

Recently, my life has been dominated by flame-out kind of obsessions. Last week it was the television show "Firefly." The show "Game of Thrones" is in my head now, though I am limiting myself somewhat. I read about two hundred pages of a book without realizing it just the other day. Regardless of all of this, I know that there will be a time, probably in the near future, when I will fall out of the television mode. I will not be in the mood for reading, and will quickly move on to another obsession. These things come and go.

Things in my life that I remain intensely focused on: family, friends, and (career) field. That's about it. I'm hoping to add one more "f" to this list.

I've recently started working out again in a regular and routine and real fashion. And it is an easy obsession to return to. This high hasn't gone away and I'm excited once more about the potential. If I can add fitness to my list before graduate school starts this summer... life might just work out to be alright.

Brought to you by alliteration. Just because, really.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say 'Faith' could be a 5th word in your 'F' list. But I recall how you prefer even numbers ;)
    Family, Friends, Field, and Fitness wrapped in Faith.
    <3
    L
    :)

    ReplyDelete