Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Monday Morning News

On Monday morning, I missed my bus. It was drizzling on me, and I was headed to school early to judge a Senior Portfolio panel. I swore too loudly and said "this isn't the best way to start a week."

Little did I know.

Little did I know that 45 minutes later I would hear that he had been shot. Little did I know that a boy, his family, his community... their week was off to a worse start than mine. Little did I know that a student of mine was lying in a hospital bed, trying not to die.

He'd been shot twice, and remained in critical condition. We didn't know anything. There was no information from the police, and if you asked two students for their information about the event, you'd get three stories. Confusion and panic and fear.

Later that night I went to an event and heard a quote that was particularly striking. "They tell us we're the future, but we're not promised tomorrow." Indeed.

Monday morning news.

No comments:

Post a Comment