Thursday, January 12, 2012

Extremes

Someone asked me the other day why I like living in Chicago. I gave many reasons from the diversity of cultures to the rich and sordid history to the beauty of the skyline, but it was at the end that I realized the true, deep reason that I love Chicago. Beyond its perks and attractions, I love the struggle.

I love the fact that it can be fifty degrees one day, and 30 hours later six inches of snow covers the ground.

I love being able to ride the Red Line through some of the wealthiest and the poorest neighborhoods in Chicago.

I love having to bundle up and wait for the bus, and I even love (in a very secret way) complaining about it when the schedule is messed up.

I love the feeling of pride I have when my working class city does impressive and world class things.

I love working in a school that was deemed a complete failure, and seeing results.

I love the struggle that is Chicago, the extremes, the hardship... because in the middle of all of that, there is both hope and triumph.

1 comment: